Monday, September 4, 2017

Rosh Hashanah - Strict Judgment or Let's Make a Deal

בס"ד
by Rabbi Ephraim Sprecher, Dean of Students, Diaspora Yeshiva
------------------------------------------------------------
We are getting close to our goal in helping a beautiful family make Aliyah. The thought that close to 60 of thousands of my readers have generously contributed lets me know that there are those who think that if they can't donate a large sum, they shouldn't donate. Or, that they also are in need of funds to just survive.

One of the best investments one can make is helping others. It is actually an investment that will give dividends for all eternity. This is not trickery; it is just being a good person and showing Hashem that you care about others. The good people of this world who do care about others are the ones that Hashem pays back -- they do not have financial problems.

A small mitzvah could be $10 or $18 to help others. It is not the amount; it is the feeling in your heart that you want to help; that is the mitzvah achieved. Yes, the payback is tremendous, but it is only because you want to do Hashem's will, not because you want reward for the mitzvah.

Go to this webpage and help; Hashem will pay you back in kindness tenfold and it is very effective Teshuvah for this month of Elul.:
The Chesed Fund

4 comments:

  1. Greetings Rav Menachem !!! How can we donate in shekels ???? Thanx for the opportunity to do a mitzvah . Yehuda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you hit the Donate button, you get a window that you bring down to designate the currency desired. The bottom choice is Shekels. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, I emailed them. You can't donate to them with an Israeli credit card in shekels. I suppose the pull down menu that includes shekels is if you want to chose a shekel amount but it will only take an overseas card or an American card and the shekel amount would be changed into dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that I have used the Chesed Fund before and used my Israeli credit card. My card is even in their memory; when I put in the first four numbers, the full number appears with the correct expiration date.

      I just tried to donate with the Israeli card in Shekels and it turned me down. Then I made a donation in dollars with the same Israeli card and it worked. There are a couple of donations that were made in Shekels. I guess they were made with a non-Israeli cards (converted to dollars for the total collected).

      Is it possible that being a holiday weekend with all banks being closed, that it didn't take my Shekel donation using my Israeli card (which I have done in the past)?

      I will try to call the Chesed Fund, which is in Lakewood, NJ, but I probably won't reach them today (and definitely not at this time -- it is 3AM now in NJ).

      Thank you for pointing this out.

      Delete